Wedding Colors: Ideas to Help Find Your “Tone”Print This Post
Figuring out your wedding color scheme is indeed one of the first things you need to do, as many of your decisions from here out you will need to know a color for.
When it comes to determining your wedding colors, ideas can come from all sorts of inspiration. And that’s what you have to decide on – what is your inspiration?
And as a side note here, let me just say, “Oh boy, finally something about the wedding planning process that is not only fun and exciting, but one of the cheapest things on your checklist.” For once, your wedding budget does not have to be considered, so really enjoy this part because it doesn’t matter if you pick brown or fuchsia, one doesn’t cost more than the other – yeah!!
For wedding colors, ideas should be pulled from your inspiration items mixed with “who you are” – not due to a trend.
While we certainly have articles on wedding color trends because our subscribers want to know these things and of course it’s interesting, but please don’t choose your wedding colors due to a trend; your wedding is about you, not anyone else’s!
Wedding Colors – Ideas on how to help you decide on YOUR wedding colors:
- Your personality type. Start by considering your personality type, are you and your fiancé traditional and conservative or a bit funky and bold. I do think your wedding day is NOT the time to try to be something you’re not, even though I know we all “work on ourselves” to be a little more like this or a little less like that, but your wedding day is a life time memory and it should reflect the “core” you. You’ll be much happier if you stick to what your gut tells you.
- The “language” of color. Now that you’ve considered your personality traits, let’s consider what some basic colors from the color wheel represent. Most colors have strong associations that everyone seems to share. This subtle “language of color” is an important consideration in color selection. We couldn’t fit all this information into one article, so to find out which colors most represent your personality/character traits, read our article on Wedding Colors, Ideas about “Color Language”.
- Your Inspiration. What places or clothes or paintings make you feel good? Do you have a favorite room in your house? If so, it may be the color scheme that you are drawn to and you don’t even realize it. What about a painting, you can draw your color inspiration from your favorite piece of artwork. And I found the greatest tool for you to “draw out” the colors of these inspiration pieces. I love it!! It’s a Color Palette Generator Tool and it helps you to choose the perfect colors based on an image that you love. Just upload your image (take a digital picture of that painting to upload it) and poof, you see the colors behind the scene. Following is an example of using a Color Palette Generator Tool. Another palette generator tool you might like is ColorHunter.
And as is the case when putting on any special event, your surroundings play an important role as does the mood you want to portray, so the following are also considerations when thinking about your wedding colors ideas:
- Where is the wedding and reception? Choose colors that complement the setting. Consider the carpeting, drapery and decor, etc.
- What mood do you want to create? Vibrant colors add drama, while soft colors evoke a more romantic atmosphere.
- What time of year will you marry? The season may influence your color scheme. Spring and summer colors tend to be lighter, while fall and winter colors are generally darker.
Look and think about all of these aids when considering your wedding colors and you will be assured to come up with a well coordinated color scheme, and enjoy the process!!
By Cheryl Cox, Editor of YourWeddingDollars.com. See “Note from the Editor” for more information on Cheryl and her credentials.